6-minute Eggs, Plum Sauce, Scallions & Gruner Veltliner
RECIPE BY David Reamer
Serves 4 | Ovo-Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Gluten Free
Active TIME About 40 minutes
Start this recipe About an hour before you want to serve it
Behind the Pairing
FOR: The intrepid foodie wannabe in all of us
IDEAL SCENARIO: Breakfast, lunch, or dinner
WHY IT WORKS: The complex profile and clean finish of Grüner Veltliner are a lovely match with Asian flavors.
Don’t let this dish scare you off. If you enjoy a creamy soft-boiled egg with a delicate center, the 6-minute method will blow your mind. This simple recipe presents quite luxuriously alongside the Grüner for brunch or as an hors d’oeuvre. There’s a delightful balance of creaminess from the egg, tangy sweetness from the plum sauce, spice from the Sriracha, and mild pungency from the scallions. What more could you ask for?
- 8 fresh large eggs
- 1 T salt
- Plum sauce (Available at most Grocery stores near the Sriracha)
- Green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
- Bring eggs to room temperature.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water and set aside.
- In a pot large enough for all the eggs to fit in a single layer, bring 3 inches of salted water to a boil.
- Reduce to a constant simmer. Carefully add all the eggs and cook for exactly 6 minutes (use a timer!), making sure water stays at a constant low simmer.
- When the timer goes off, gently place all of the eggs into the large bowl of ice water for 20 minutes.
- Remove eggs and dry on a dish towel.
- When ready to serve, very gently crack the shells and peel in the sink under gently running room temperature water.
- Cut the eggs in half. Be careful, the yolks will be very soft.
- To serve, place halved eggs on a tray and drizzle with plum sauce and Sriracha and sprinkle with green onions.
Great Nights In Bundles
Unique wines paired with recipes for enthusiast and curious alike. Gift yourself and a friend!